Course Number: R4224
This is a basic level course designed for law enforcement and corrections personnel, mental health professionals, supervisors / team leaders and commanders who are assigned to, work with, or oversee the functions of a crisis / hostage negotiations team. This course is also appropriate for law enforcement and corrections personnel who aspire to join a crisis / hostage negotiations team. This curriculum is designed to meet the standards set forth by the National Council of Negotiations Associations for a basic course of study for police crisis / hostage negotiators. Although it is a “basic” course, it represents a robust and comprehensive view of the most likely negotiation problems and best techniques to resolve them peacefully. It is suitable for experienced negotiators desiring a refresher course.
Upon completion of this course the attendee will be familiar with:
- The legal and historical foundations of hostage/crisis negotiations and current practices in the field
- Active listening techniques and their role in communicating empathy and building rapport
- Crisis negotiations team roles, and the relationship of negotiators to SWAT and incident commanders
- The dynamics of negotiation problems, including suspect demands, obstacles, deadlines, hostage survival, threats, one-way communications, measuring progress, and the phases of a negotiation incident from initial contact and surrender
- Suicide intervention skills for suicide and suicide by cop incidents
- Intelligence exploitation including open source and social media
- Common crisis situations and suspect profiles
- Influence and compliance tactics
- Managing indirect negotiations like the use of third party intermediaries and interpreters
- Healthy practices designed to keep negotiators safe legally, physically, and emotionally
- Practical exercises and scenario-based learning to reinforce new skills
Prerequisites- Must be full-time sworn law enforcement personnel
Dates: January 11-15, 2021
Credit Hours: 40
Location: Idaho Falls Police Department Training Annex, 740 Park Ave., Idaho Falls, ID 83402
Cost: $729.00 for NTOA members, $784.00 for non-NTOA members, although a one year membership is included in this price.
Student will receive full refund of any paid fee if cancelled in writing 30+ days prior to course start.
NTOA will charge $100 cancellation fee if written notice is received less than 30 days prior to course start.
No written notice, no refund. Qualified substitutions are always acceptable.
NTOA reserves the right to cancel a course 30 days prior to the start date. We will notify you immediately if this occurs.
(Attendees are responsible for meals, travel, and/or lodging)
Deadline: December 10, 2020
Instructor(s): NTOA Instructor(s) TBD
Remarks: To register for this course, click the following link- https://training.ntoa.org/CourseRegistration/default.asp?num=20203190
Suggested car rentals- Use the following ID#, XZ17D23 to get the discounted rate. You can log onto www.enterprise.com and use the pin code of NAT or call 1-800-RENT-A-CAR
Suggested hotel- Hilton Garden Inn 208 522 9500