R2 PIO and Community Engagement
Course Number: R2-111D
Description: PIO and Community Engagement
The communication gap between law enforcement agencies and the public creates tensions which can cause local incidents to make the national news. Decades in the making, compounded by legal process and policies, this gap reduces a department’s effectiveness at serving its community and enforcing its laws. But it’s not too late for agencies to take steps toward improving those relationships.
This course provides a fresh look at Community Engagement and the role of public communication within a law enforcement environment. Recent examples show the impact of ineffective policies and practices on public safety, its personnel, and the community. Built upon historically valid principles and techniques, this course provides proven directions for agencies wishing to improve their interaction with the public.
• Identify and create meaningful, message-oriented communication strategies for traditional and social media platforms.
• Confidently represent your agency as a spokesperson using a message-based communication technique.
• Identify Message Targets
• Learn to write a solid press release
• Increase confidence during on-camera interviews.
• Develop positive community engagement strategies
• Respond to negative community engagement successfully.
• Gain a basic understanding of social media and its uses for community engagement.
Dates: June 6 – 7, 2022 Time: 0800-1700
Credit Hours: 16
Nampa Police Department
Hugh Nichols Public Safety Building
820 2nd Street South
Nampa, Idaho 83651
Cost: $475.00 Payable to: Police Technical
(Meals, travel, and/or lodging are the responsibility of the participant)
Instructors: Sara Spaulding
POST Coordinator: Jeff Sklar
Registration: e-mail Jason Cantrell or call 208-761-9182
Remarks: For additional information regarding this training or the training venue, email Jason Cantrell at email@example.com or call 208-761-9182