- This event has passed.
R4 Handgun Combatives Instructor Development Course- CANCELLED
May 2, 2022 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Course Number: R4309A
Focus: Beginning or current firearms instructors tasked with implementing tactical, handgun training within any agency.
This course provides your agency instructors with the knowledge and the “how-to’s” to teach your officers to survive against threats where shooting and hitting another person means your officers get to go home today. It is about REAL-WORLD tactics that have been proven over decades and through history to keep officers alive during those violent, sudden, vicious, and short-lived police firefights.
The emphasis of this course is “how to teach” your cops to fight with their handgun utilizing only cutting edge tactics and training. You know the real-world of handgun fights is about hitting an armed Imminent Threat who is often contact-to-talking-distance away. In the real-world, officers are often late to a gunfight–because it is the suspect driving the event and forcing the officer to respond. Officers’ tactics and fire employment theory must support this reality of being close to the Imminent Threat who’s trying to kill them, of being late, of the driving need to put rounds on-target on-time, in-time. Officers face the reality of being physically assaulted by a suspect and then having the need to respond to the suspect’s extreme actions with deadly force while still struggling with the suspect.
Too many “instructor” courses turn out to be glorified end-user courses where the instructor becomes a better shooter–and fails to become a better “instructor.” NOT THIS COURSE…our prime goal is to train your agency instructor in how to teach. While some instructional time is taken in “how to shoot,” the core of the course is in training police instructors in how to teach their officers to be tactically sound while hitting the target in police-combat conditions. This course utilizes a “building block” approach, where the instructor-candidate will move progressively through basic tactical instruction into advanced instruction in police fire employment–including Live-Fire Combatives where officers are prepared in a live-fire environment to physically defend against assault and respond with deadly force. Instructor candidates will, at the conclusion of training, be capable of developing and presenting sound tactical and close-combatives training to agency officers that is safe, documented, and most of all, effective.
CUTTING EDGE TRAINING’s Handgun Combatives remains the only program of its kind–“reverse-engineered” to achieve survival goals. We studied how police officers are murdered and assaulted in the real-world. Then we put that knowledge together with how the human being inside the uniform actually reacts in that pressure-filled, life and death environment, and created a training system that has changed the law enforcement community’s understanding of how to put bullets on-target in-time in order to survive. There are no “game philosophies” designed to speed up the shooter’s firing rate at the expense of life-saving tactics and hit accuracy. The emphasis is solely on real-world gunfights: recognizing the Imminent Threat’s behavior early enough to make a difference, reacting tactically to avoid being hit while hitting a suspect with combat accuracy, significantly affecting his or her ability to remain an imminent threat. Finally, this course also emphasizes your very real need to defend your actions in the inevitable post-shooting aftermath.
We teach your agency instructors how to train your officers to fight with their handguns in the real-world…Tactical…Practical…Real-World…Defensible!
- Comprehensive Safety Requirements for Live-Fire Training Involving “Movement-to-Hit,” Unusual Shooting Positions, and “Live-Fire Combatives” Training
- Training Constitutional Limits of Police Deadly Force
- Training Unintentional Discharge Proofing Drills
- Training “Applied OODA Combatives Theory”©
- Training Firearms Employment Theory
- Training Firearms Handling Theory and Methods
- Training Officers in Effective Deadly Force Response
- Training Movement-and-Hitting
- Training Beginning-to-Advanced Real-World Live-Fire Close Combatives
- Training Unusual Shooting Positions
- Training Survival Use of the Barricade
- Documentation of Training Requirements for Successful Defense of the Training Program
This completely different process of bringing ordinary officers into the category of “competent police trainer” is something you’d expect from CUTTING EDGE TRAINING. We are the original, and, so far, the only police trainers to bring you training that is:
- Outcome-based: There are no techniques trained in our system…only “Integrated Combatives Problem-Solving”© featuring the “Universal Rules and Principles of Combatives,”© and “Applied OODA Theory.”© The only determination of whether the officer’s method of defense and control was “correct” is that the officer was not injured and survived, and his/her force response was legally reasonable and within policy–just like in the real-world.
- Gross-motor skills dependent: We are the only system that depends solely upon gross-motor skills in our combatives problem-solving efforts.
- Non-Technical: “Techniques” are fine-motor skills that routinely fail in the street. We teach no techniques because techniques only work against willing police officers on the mat and small children. Instead, we teach you to solve your combatives problems using naturally hard-wired solutions that are easy for every officer, regardless of level of ability.
Developed from the street “in,” NOT from the live-fire range “out.”
This is contextually-correct training at its highest–without gaming and wishful thinking. This is about hitting people with bullets who need to be hit RIGHT NOW, while avoiding being shot yourself. If you do it on the street, then it must be practiced in training. If it is too dangerous to do in training, then you shouldn’t do it on the street. We bring street reality and functionality “in” to the live-fire range training for your benefit.
Military applicability: This course benefits military personnel as well–the experiences of police officers in up-close-and-very-personal shootings are being experienced by our soldiers, Marines, sailors, and airmen in this Global War on Terror. While this course focuses on “police gunfights,” the concepts and training are applicable to anyone who carries a handgun into a battle where any range of conflict is possible.
The Highest Evolution of Law Enforcement Instructor/TRAIN-THE-TRAINER Training!
CUTTING EDGE TRAINING provides the highest evolution of instructor training yet to be devised. We can boldly say this because we have devoted years to the evolution of how we train the trainers of law enforcement. We were perplexed that all instructor courses seem to be simply advanced user classes where the participant is expected to fully master the material, teach for five to fifteen minutes at the end of the seminar, and then receive an instructor certificate. We have worked and changed and fine-tuned our TRAIN-THE-TRAINER process until we have what is now the finest method of teaching your trainers to be coaches and leaders in the classroom, mat room, and live-fire range.
These TRAIN-THE-TRAINER courses provide an entirely new way of approaching the creation of an agency instructor of police. This involves:
- Changing the “Trainer-as-the-Source-of-All-Knowledge” Paradigm. Instructors are trained to adopt the philosophy that “another person cannot be taught to fight like me.” Everyone has different abilities, strengths, and aptitudes. No one is alike–and we all react to threat differently. Instructors become a resource in helping their officers problem-solve their combative solution. Through this, the individual officer learns what works and what doesn’t for him or her when solving the combative problems they face.
- Training to Teach to a Legal Standard. Very few courses teach the constitutional basis of officers’ authority to employ force against a resisting, fleeing, or aggressing offender. Each CUTTING EDGE TRAINING course is predicated upon the foundation of teaching officers “when” to respond with force as well as “how to justify and articulate their force response.” Every TRAIN-THE-TRAINER seminar not only contains a block of instruction dedicated to the subject of the lawful response to resistance and flight, but instructor-candidates are required to integrate the “objective reasonableness” standard into their teaching curricula throughout the week.
- Training How to Teach the Layering of Skills and Concepts. The fundamental basis of what we are attempting to accomplish in this training is first addressed in the classroom. With an intellectual understanding of the task at hand, including “when it is permissible to respond with force,” the class then moves to the mat or range. Each new physical skill builds upon the problem-solving successes of the prior exercises and drills, building confidence and competence in the learners. Upon successful completion of the training task, the officers will have properly repeated the fundamentals of the force option possibly hundreds of times, creating a core competency that will translate to effective force responses in the field. Each topic creates the foundation for the next (e.g., learning Defensive Tactics/Combatives creates the foundation for Police GroundDefense, which in turns prepares them Weapon Retention, and so on.). Soon, all combatives situations are just problems to be solved through the application of the problem-solving methods.
- Training How to Teach Problem-Solving for Combatives. Subject control, officer defense, fighting, combat. Whatever you call it, physically controlling at any level another person without that person’s cooperation has never—and never will be—about applying “techniques.” Instead, instructor-candidates are trained to teach their officers how to problem-solve effectively in combative situations through “Integrated Combative Problem-Solving”© employing the “Universal Rules and Principles of Combatives.”© The “layering concept” permits officers to work out how they will solve each layer of the tasks as effectively as possible for that particular officer’s attributes.
- Training How to Teach “Applied OODA Theory.” Many officers have heard of Col. Boyd’s theory of combat decision-making. Few actually understand it, however, to be more than a simple explanation of reaction-response. We not only train your instructors to teach that this theory is about getting inside the suspect’s decision-making cycles, but about controlling the relative perception of time of the fight. Beyond theory, CUTTING EDGE TRAINING is alone in the world in training how to apply OODA Theory through classroom instruction, drills, and layered exercises.
Our TRAIN-THE-TRAINER courses are the premier “instructor-certification” program for your agency trainers to learn how to train your officers in the reasonable and effective force response and suspect control.
Recertification Program for Instructors
There are NO recertification requirements by CUTTING EDGE TRAINING for instructors. “Recertification” is and should be a voluntary training activity by the agency and instructor. While it is prudent to seek to deepen understanding of the course material and get updated information, we believe this is solely a decision that should be made by the instructors and their Command Staff.
Dates: May 2-6, 2022
Credit Hours: 40
Location: Bonneville County Sheriff’s Office Training Annex, 577 D St., Idaho Falls, ID 83402
Cost: $595.00, after April 1, 2022- $695.00
(Attendees are responsible for meals, travel, and/or lodging)
Instructor(s): George Williams
Remarks: To register for this course, go to http://www.cuttingedgetraining.org/ or call 360-671-2007
NOTE- This course does not qualify as a replacement for the Idaho POST Basic Handgun Instructor Course. In order to be an Idaho POST High Liability Certified Firearms Instructor, you must complete the Idaho POST Instructor Development Course and the Idaho POST Basic Handgun Instructor Course prior to instructor application with Idaho POST.