- This event has passed.
R4 Blue to Gold Advanced Search and Seizure- Pocatello
November 29 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Course Number: R4247
This is the premier Blue to Gold Course and the only search and seizure training Nationally Certified by IDALEST. This course is designed for experienced law enforcement officers who already possess a background knowledge and functional experience in search and seizure law. The instruction is advanced and fast-paced and uses case studies to explain the development and the current status of the legal aspects of searches and seizures.
The goal of Advanced Search and Seizure is to help officers independently analyze and solve Fourth Amendment problems.
Students who complete the course will:
- Understand when the Fourth Amendment applies
- Understand that every search or seizure requires consent, a recognized exception, or a warrant
- Reduce or eliminated lawsuits
- Make good case law
First, acquire a solid understand of the Fourth Amendment:
- What are the key words in the Fourth Amendment that need to be understood by officers
- What are the three Golden Rules of search and seizure
Next, we explain when the Fourth Amendment is implicated. In particular, we discuss the requirement of state action.
We then discuss what is a Fourth Amendment search and seizure:
- What are the two searches recognized by the U.S. Supreme Court
- When does a seizure occur of a person
- When does a seizure occur of property
Finally, we discuss the legal issues regarding the most used searches and seizures by police officers, in particular:
- What one of three exceptions an officer needs every time a search or seizure is conducted
- How to effectively articulate citizen-consensual encounters
- How to articulate any consensual search, and what are the many pitfalls to avoid
- What is apparent authority to consent to search, and what if officers are mistaken
- How to conduct an investigative detention, and how to transition to a P.C. stop or back down to a consensual encounter
- Legal land-mines regarding First Amendment statements and protesters
- Hot pursuit into homes
- Emergency entries into homes
- And much more!
Dates: November 29, 2023
Credit Hours: 7.5
Cost: $225.00 ($395 if combined with the Report Writing class on Nov. 30).
All students receive the extremely popular and useful Search & Seizure Survival Guide. We designed this book from the ground up for all police officers. The book guides officers on practically every search and seizure scenario, including advice on how to articulate the necessary legal doctrines in police reports
(Attendees are responsible for meals, travel, and/or lodging)
Instructor(s): Blue to Gold Instructors TBD
Remarks: To register for this course, go to the Blue to Gold Training website located here- https://www.bluetogold.com/