- This event has passed.
Use of Force for Instructors (Updated for 2021)- Meridian
May 13, 2021 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Course Number: R2 161A
This is the POST Basic Academy Use of Force course, adapted for Idaho POST Certified High Liability Instructors and updated for 2021. The course will qualify for High Liability Endorsement instructor training hours.
The first day of class will focus on legal aspects of Use of Force, covering the following objectives:
- Seizures under the 4th Amendment
- Legal standards as applied to Graham v. Connor, Tennessee v. Garner, and other relevant case law
- Deadly force and objective reasonableness
- Legal issues related to intermediate weapons
- Dealing with suspects’ due process rights
- Understanding qualified immunity
The second day of class will address the practical aspects of using force. We will discuss the physiological changes which occur under high levels of stress, such as in a deadly force encounter.
- Articulating use of force in accordance to constitutional standards
- Overcoming unnecessary hesitation when using force
- Identifying methods to overcoming hesitation
- Human performance factors that impact use of force response
New material updated from the 2018 POST Use of Force instructor update courses:
- Deadly Force Encounters, updated for 2021
- Ambushes and unprovoked attacks, US Department of Justice 2019
- Safety Priorities Decision Making matrix replacing the Priorities of Life matrix, NTOA 2018 Tactical Response and Operations Standards
- Unintended consequences of improper commands issued during high stress situations- Why “Show me your hands!” is an improper and dangerous command
- Science Based Learning
- Shoot/No Shoot Decisions: The effect of muzzle-position (2020 University Colorado, Denver)
Dates: May 13-14, 2021
Credit Hours: 16
Location: POST Academy Classroom A, Meridian Campus, 700 S. Stratford, Meridian, ID
(Attendees are responsible for meals, travel, and/or lodging)
Deadline: April 30, 2021 (midnight)
Instructor(s): Matt Bloodgood, Idaho POST Regional Training Specialist
Remarks: This course is open to current POST Certified Instructors, or prospective instructors, particularly those who intend to teach a high liability subject.
SEATING LIMITED TO 32 SEATS